Hand Painted Bunhead Ornaments



This holiday season I launched a hand painted bunhead ornament collection in the shop and it occurred to me this morning, on Christmas Eve that I never featured them here on Fabulous Doodles! So in the spirit of the holiday I wanted to bring my little ladies to the blog. I've been drawing and painting tiny croquis (fashion figures) with buns atop their heads since I was in grade school. I even had my first art show at around 15 years old at a coffee house in my Long Island town featuring a small collection of a them. But this is the first time I've ever adorned them on ornaments. If you're familiar with my work or follow me on the gram I'm sure you've seen the bunheads pop up in my IG stories, drawn in digital videos and occasionally sketched over photos but painted onto ceramics is a first!

I had the ceramic ornaments handmade from a fellow Etsy artist out west and I am so pleased with the results! I wanted the pieces to be fully handcrafted and not store bought or from a mold. One of my favorite features of them is actually the back, where you can see the handmade touch in the swirl of the clay and my signature. (You can see details of the back in the listing detail photos!) I grew up with parents who were both potters so I have a thing for ceramics.

 

I used my tiniest brush for these little ladies, as their hands, feet and limbs are dainty and the little brush almost acts like a pen tip capturing the finest details. I also wanted as many ladies on each ornaments as I could. I've been documenting the ornament painting process on my Instagram stories and I saved them all the highlighted album titled Ornaments if you're interested and want to see the ornaments take shape. I hope my little beauties bring good vibes to your Christmas trees! There are still a couple left for you late shoppers. Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!...And to those who don't the ornament is still a nice decorative piece for the home. I'm one of them, and I have one hanging on my office mood board!

Leave a Comment