Costume Design: Black Swan



It's always a thrill to find great costume illustrations, and these sketches from fashion designers Kate and Laura Mulleavy of Rodarte for Black Swan do not disappoint! They have a soft and whimsical stylized look, which is synonymous with the look of their illustrations for Rodarte, while still serving as readable working sketches.
The designing sisters were challenged with making clothes that were dramatic and character appropriate while also being ballet-friendly and completely wearable.
The wardrobe, the characters and the setting are all so intriguing to me. I also absolutely love illustrating ballerinas so maybe I'll take a stab at rendering the main characters after I see the film.
Embarrassingly enough I have not actually seen Black Swan yet, I usually steer clear of scary movies, but I may have to suck it up just to see these costumes in action.

Leave a Comment

Anonymous said...

Love them!
Do you made them on photoshop or illustrator?

cosplay said...

Nice Designs. we are at cosplay a japan based company offering many customized costumes at reasonable prizes. Thanks for sharing this information with us.

LEONID GUREVICH said...

these are wonderful! i can't wait to see the movie. What media do you use?

Leon

Brooke Hagel said...

Hi everyone, thank you for the comments! I did not draw or design these, they are the real costume sketches from the designers of Rodarte, who were asked to design them for the movie. I was just featuring them here on my blog, but as I mentioned in the post there are drawn by the actual designers who made them.

Glucosamine said...

some really nice drawing hope that you make some very nice dresses and become the best designers of the world.

Anonymous said...

I began to watch Black Swan the other night and couldn't go through with watching it. Too manic. She was obcessed. The costumes were however glorious of the ones I did see.

Brooke Hagel said...

I actually have yet to see it! I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to scary movies.