Fabulous Doodles Inspiration No.2, Gladys Perint Palmer



For my second feature in the Fabulous Doodles Inspiration series, I'm spotlighting fashion illustrator Gladys Perint Palmer who depicts high fashion inspired illustrations that are often loose and whimsical. The illustration shown here is Jennifer Lawrence's 2013 Oscar winning look, a Raf Simons' for Christian Dior from spring 2013. I love this dress, and I love her stylized take on it! (I actually sketched this gown too, for Quest Magazine a few weeks prior to the Oscars but since Jennifer made it instantly iconic the sketch was pulled from the final spread and never published.) I find Gladys Perint Palmers fashion illustrations to be fun and inspiring and I'm sure you will too. You can take a look at more of her work here

On a personal note, years ago I spent a couple of weeks studying fashion illustration with Ms. Palmer at the Academy of Art College (now its "University") of San Francisco in their high school summer program back in 1997. It was a great experience and I remember Ms. Palmer's stories of jaunts to the couture shows and runway sketching. I've followed her work for years but it wasn't until this February, at New York Fashion Week that I saw her again. I reintroduced myself, and what we both remembered well about that summer was sadly it was the summer Gianni Versace was killed. Ms. Palmer, being a friend and colleague of Versace and having illustrated all his homes, was understandably very upset and cancelled classes. 

(Illustration: ©GladysPerintPalmer 2013) 

Leave a Comment

Unknown said...

So beautful! xx

www.holliegirl.blogspot.co.uk
www.facebook.com/holliegirl.inklid