Live-Sketching at NYFW with Samsung Galaxy



This past New York Fashion Week I had the opportunity to try something new, sketching on a tablet. A Samsung Galaxy Note Pro tablet to be exact. As a sponsor of NYFW, Samsung had a space in the main lobby and I was hired to live-sketch fashion illustrations of fashion week attendees who passed through the Samsung lounge.
Live-sketching NYFW attendees is great, since even with this crazy winter "polar-vortex" people still tend to dress to impress for shows and aren't donning the typical head-to-toe black typically found at most New York events. I was able to really experiment with tablet fashion illustration, rendering a variety of furs, leathers, knits, prints and even sheers all in an array of colors and styles.
To be honest I was really nervous to try sketching on a tablet. I'd never done it before and wasn't sure if I'd be able to figure it out and achieve the look I wanted with only a stylist pen, tablet screen and no actual art tools. To my surprise though it was very user friendly and I got the hang of it pretty quickly. (I also had Samsung experts there to answer any questions, which was helpful.) The "S pen" has such a fine point and the screen is so touch-sensitive that the level of detail and precision you can achieve is pretty incredible, much like an actual pen or pencil. The Note Pro is very lightweight and has a large paper-sized 12.2-inch screen. Lastly, it was especially great for live-sketching since I could email jpegs of the illustrations directly to the people I was sketching, like Bella shown here (above) from Elle Magazine. I enjoyed drawing on the Galaxy Note Pro so much that I'm now considering purchasing one for more digital drawing.

(Top photo by Gloria Chik and fashion illustrations by Brooke Hagel.)

Leave a Comment

ColoredVogue said...

i wish i could sketch this way in a tablet
love it
p.s new post on my blog
www.colour3d-vogu3.blogspot.com
xoxo

Brooke Hagel said...

Thank you @coloured-vogue!