Red Carpet Fashion Illustrations



The Academy Awards were this past sunday and of course I was inspired to illustrate some of the most sketch-worthy looks from the red carpet. I want to share them here along with a few from other red carpet looks I've yet to share aside from instagram sneak peeks.

First up is a Monique Lhuillier gown worn by Chissy Teigen in a organic pattern of petal/brush strokes over black (shown above.) For this illustration I started as usual with pencil and marker but for the pink I broke out the brushes and gauche. I've added her to the shop, so if you'd like to purchase a print of this illustration you can by clicking here.
My two favorite looks of the night were Charlize Theron in a dramatic black Dior gown and Cate Blacnchett in Armani Prive. Cate's dress of sheer nude fabric embellished with tiny flowers and various sequins and palettes was absolutely stunning, however a challenge to capture in a fashion illustration. Cate took home an Oscar and also earns my best dressed of the night.
Next up are fashion illustrations I worked on a few weeks ago inspired by the Golden Globe red carpet. Naomi Watts looked flawless in her slinky beaded Tom Ford gown and the gorgeous Olivia Wilde rocked her baby bump and was one of the best dressed of the night in a beautiful emerald green sequined Gucci Premiere gown (print of Olivia available.) Margot Robbie who has also been a long time favorite and I've actually illustrated before, looked regal and gorgeous in a white Gucci gown with green crystal banding.
The Met Ball always turns out the most show-stopping red carpet looks and this past years was no exception. For these sketches I used tan craft paper so that the fashion designs would really pop off the page. Model Chanel Iman wore a black and white striped J. Mendel gown and its probably one of my favorite looks of the year. The bias bold stripes, draping and overall silhouette is simply beautiful. (Mini print of Chanel available in the shop) Last but not least is Kate Mara looking beautiful in another strong color of the year, oxblood red. Her dress was by Delpozo and had a beautiful jewel encrusted bodice with an avant-garde peplum and sheer layered skirt. I love how the deep red and black contrast with the tan craft paper. This illustration of Kate is also available in the shop.

Leave a Comment