Blog it Forward: Inspired by...



Today's post is all about what inspires me. This post is part of Blog it Forward. I'd first like to send a big thank you to Victoria of SFgirlbybay for arranging this, it's been so fantastic to read through what inspires people and discover new blogs in the process. Yesterday was Every Little Wonder's turn and tomorrow will be Fashion Foir Gras, so be sure to check them out as well. Now without further ado, here is what inspires me and many of my fashion illustrations:
First up, New York. I love my city, there's simply no other place like it. In the city that never sleeps there is inspiration around every corner. From the people walking the streets to the museums and exhibits that you stumble upon, to the city itself, New York is one of a kind. New Yorkers too for that matter! (Every trip I've taken abroad people have called me and/or my friends out as being New Yorkers!)
My Fabulous Friends. I have an amazing group of friends that are my little secret tribe of muses. I'm constantly inspired by them, from outfits they show up to dinner in to photo's they post on facebook to their latest hair styles! Elements of my friends show up in almost every illustration I create.
Traveling. I absolutely love to travel and explore new places. The two activities that I think are vital when traveling are people watching and shopping. One of the biggest perks of traveling is the being exposed to new things and new people. It's so interesting to observe women of other cultures and see how they style themselves. (Dylan is an illustration I made after visiting Iceland. With the exception of the brown hair, because almost every woman there was platinum blond, her entire look was inspired by the Reykjavik locals.) It's also essential to shop while traveling. Local markets are great, but a little secret of mine when shopping abroad is to head to the dollar store! I've gotten the most interesting little housewares, art supplies, and fun finds in foreign dollar stores.
Shopping. It shouldn't only be done while traveling! I love to see what's out there, I don't even have to buy. (Although I do have to say, there's nothing like the high of a fabulous new purchase.) Shops are such a great resource for inspiration. From the products, to the merchandising, to the store decor, windows and sales people. Shown above are two of my favorite purchases I've photographed and written about here before (the glass dish and studded flats) and some fabulous lanterns I spotted, but passed up, in a market in Egypt.

Hope you enjoyed reading about and seeing my photo's of what inspires me. :) Definitely try to check out some of the other ladies participating in Blog it Forward.

Leave a Comment

Miss Journey said...

Wow I absolutely love this Blog It Forward idea, and I especially love your list. 1-3 are be very similar to my own list would be. Your collages are great!

IamHagel said...

What about family, I thought I inspire you every day.

Brooke Hagel said...

Its so funny you said that because I did originally have you in there, but then thought I should just keep it to my girls! =)

Arcadia said...

i'm so envious of people who can draw, your doodles are great!

Dennice {Fringe} said...

How fun to come to your beautiful blog for the first time and read your wonderful list of inspirations....Thank you so much for sharing!

xo

Unknown said...

YAY! You are the best!